Week Eight – Day 5
1 Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. 2 Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin!
3 For I know my transgressions, and my sin is ever before me. 4 Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight, so that you may be justified in your words and blameless in your judgment. 5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me. 6 Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being, and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.
7 Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. 8 Let me hear joy and gladness; let the bones that you have broken rejoice. 9 Hide your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities. 10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a right spirit within me. 11 Cast me not away from your presence, and take not your Holy Spirit from me. 12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and uphold me with a willing spirit.
13 Then I will teach transgressors your ways, and sinners will return to you. 14 Deliver me from bloodguiltiness, O God, O God of my salvation, and my tongue will sing aloud of your righteousness. 15 O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise. 16 For you will not delight in sacrifice, or I would give it; you will not be pleased with a burnt offering. 17 The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.
18 Do good to Zion in your good pleasure; build up the walls of Jerusalem; 19 then will you delight in right sacrifices, in burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings; then bulls will be offered on your altar.
O – David wrote this psalm after he was confronted by Nathaniel because of his sin with Bathsheba. He totally acknowledged his sin, his responsibility – and what that did to his relationship with God. It is interesting to note David’s acknowledgement, God’s qualities, and what we need to do to restore our relationship with God.
• great compassion
What God does:
• blot out our transgressions
• Cleanse from sin
• Helps us to know wisdom
• Purifies us to cleanse us, washes us
• Gives us joy and satisfaction when our relationship is restored
• Rescues us from our guilt
• Helps us to praise
• Will not despise a broken spirit or contrite heart
• Delights in our sacrifices
• Restores our relationship
David’s acknowledgement –
• I need to be washed and cleansed from sin (purify me – wash me)
• I know that I have sinned! I acknowledge that
• I was born with a sinful nature
• I have sinned against God – only God
• I have done evil in the sight of God
• I deserve to be punished (You are justified when you speak!)
• I need a “clean heart and steadfast spirit”
• I need to give God my broken spirit and contrite heart
What do we need to do?
• Ask God for mercy and forgiveness
• Ask Him to blot out our sins and iniquities
• Ask God to create a clean heart and steadfast spirit
• Ask God to NOT cast us away – to restore that relationship
• Ask God to sustain us with a willing spirit
• Ask God to restore our joy
• Ask God to sustain us
• Teach others of God’s ways
• Sing and praise God because of His righteousness AND His justice
• Sacrifice our broken spirit and contrite heart (repent – be thoroughly repentant)
A – Simply put….. I have sinned. I acknowledge that. I have sinned against a holy God. I repent of my sins. I need forgiveness. I need to have my relationship with God restored. God forgives and restores a repentant person. My relationship with God is restored when I repent. He brings to me a clean heart, a willing spirit, and a joy that comes from Him. Hallelujah!
P – Father God, thank You for Your love, Your mercy, Your lovingkindness. Thank You that You do not turn me away from You when I sin. I acknowledge my sin – and ask for forgiveness for those times that I ignore You, ignore Your prompting, and go my own way. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within. Cast me not away from Your presence, or take your Holy Spirit way from me. Restore unto me the joy of my salvation, and renew a right spirit within me.
Psalm 51 – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRgCcTzCX-4