Week Eight – Day Three – Psalm 100 ESV SOAP Psalms 100:4-5
Psalm 100 – Chris Tomin – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiUyjEVdKSA
Make a joyful noise to the Lord, all the earth! 2 Serve the Lord with gladness! Come into his presence with singing! 3 Know that the Lord, he is God! It is he who made us, and we are his; we are his people, and the sheep of his pasture. 4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving, and his courts with praise! Give thanks to him; bless his name! 5 For the Lord is good; his steadfast love endures forever, and his faithfulness to all generations.
O and A – This is one of my favorite psalms, one that I memorized as a child. I had my second grade students memorize it each year – listening to their sweet voices declaring the word of the Lord was a treat to my soul. Why? This psalm DECLARES the goodness and love of the Lord – His steadfast love ENDURES forever – and His faithfulness ENDURES to all generations! This psalm is directed to Him – how should we direct our praise and prayer?
- Make a joyful noise – LET HIM KNOW! Sing, make music, shout aloud!
- Serve Him with gladness – LET MY actions show how glad I am to be His – and to SERVE Him!
- Come into His presence with singing – Worship Him, in the beauty of holiness. Let my outward worship be real, aware of His presence
- Know that He is God – Live in the meaning of belonging to Him, I am His, therefore, whatever He brings me, is from Him!
- Enter His gates with thanksgiving – the FIRST thing I should do in relating to Him is to come with thanks, not complaining
- Enter His courts with praise – Let Him know that I am aware of How GOD He is!
- Give Thanks to Him – thank Him for all that He has done
- Bless His name – All those names for God – use them with knowledge and blessing
- WHY? HE IS GOOD!
Will this change my prayer life? I certainly hope so! There is NOTHING here that says to praise Him if things are going well, if I am happy and contented, or if my circumstances are positive. It is just – praise Him. Thank Him. Serve Him. Sing to Him. Acknowledge Him. Enter before Him. Give thanks to Him. Bless Him. FOR HE IS GOOD. And HE IS GOD.
P – Father God, You are the Mighty God, the designer of the world, and the creator of me. I come before You, humbly, acknowledging Who You Are. You are Jehovah – my God. You are Jehovah Jireh – my Provider. You are Good. You are MY FATHER. Thank You, God, for all that You are, so powerful and mighty, yet my Father. I can rest in the shadow of Your wings, and also see Your powerful and creative nature in the sunset, and the great winds of storms. Thank You for all that You have done for me – You created me, gave me purpose, and saved me from sin and eternal death. You have given me the promise and hope of eternal life – with You. Walk with me today, through the day and my chores, and the ordinary pace of an ordinary day, made extraordinary by my loving, and good God.