Day Five – Read Colossians 4:2 and I Thessalonians 5:17 SOAP I Thessalonians 5:17
Desert Song – (Hillsong) – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3l1z7bXY9Y
Colossians 4:2 -Continue steadfastly in prayer, being watchful in it with thanksgiving.
1 Thessalonians 5:17 – pray without ceasing,
O – I took a look at the verbs and adverbs in these passages today….. and for short verses, there is a lot of meat here! Wow – what a selection of words! Continue, steadfastly, watchful, thanksgiving, persistent, devoted, alert, focused, without ceasing, continually. (taken from ESV, NIV, and AMP)
A – What do all these words mean for ME in my prayer life today?
- To Continue – prayer should be in my life ALL the time. It is not a “once and done” thing.
- To be steadfast – to be steady, not be moved or distracted by other things when praying
- To be watchful – to notice what needs to be prayed for, AND pray for it, and to watch for answered prayer
- To be thankful – to remember to thank God not only for His answers, but the fact that He listens to me, to NOT complain, but simply give my concerns and worries over to God
- To be persistent – to keep praying for things and people until God answers (salvation for others, illness, job situations, etc.) and delivers, heals, or people become sensitive to God’s working in their lives
- To be devoted – to make prayer a priority – to take time to converse with God, not a “quick prayer” but a conversation
- To be alert – when I am praying, I need to concentrate on what I am saying to Him, and not be distracted by others things either going on around me or through my mind
- To be focused – What am I asking for? What am I actually SAYING to God?
- Without ceasing – Not stopping when I get discouraged, keep seeking Him!
I confess, these words do not describe my daily prayer. I think that praying with my prayer notebook will not only help me focus in my prayer, but to be consistent and persistent. It is my goal (check on me, please!) to use my notebook at least twice a week, and to write down requests for my group members so that I can be consistent AND persistent!
P – Father God – as I come to You today after reading and reflecting, I confess that my prayer life is not what it should be, nor what You desire for me. You know me better than I know myself. Help me, give me not only the desire, but the consistency in meeting with You in prayer. Thank You for Your consistency in Your love to me – develop in me the consistency in my love for You. Thank You for pursuing me through all the times of my life – develop in me the desire to pursue You. Thank You for Your continual presence in my life – develop in me the desire for my continue seeking of, and meeting with You. Father – bring me to Yourself, so that I can bring my worries, my cares, my loves, my desires to Your feet today.